1 Users
0 Likes
Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter  

Die Another Day

Spoiler

It's official. I really like all four Pierce Brosnan James Bond films. I thought the last one was pretty great. However, unlike the others, I have some real gripes for this one.

Let's talk about the good first. I have not seen all of cinema and television. I could not say for certain whether Bond and Grant's swordfight was the best in screen history or not. But it was the best one I'VE ever seen at any rate.

The car chase across the ice and extending into the ice palace was similarly and pleasurably bananas. The explosions at the end were the biggest so far too.

I found M sort of horrible for burning Bond. Bond usually wins the teasers, and only loses them rarely. This is probably the biggest loss handed to him at the beginning of a film. Seeing him with the long hair and beard is as jarring as it is supposed to be. And M's antipathy for him and his plight just makes me hate her. Which is interesting.

Invisible car? Long overdue, if you ask me.

Let's talk about the things I didn't like. I was outright offended there was no dedication card for Desmond Llewelyn, who passed away between the last movie and this one.

Also, why show us that scene with Moneypenny at the end and not simply give it to us? I knew somehow it was going to be a fake-out, and I was super angry it was. Why weren't we allowed that?

I think the movie was probably 15 minutes too long. A little trimming of the length would have helped it.

I thought it was pretty excellent. But of the four Brosnan films, it's the one I can nitpick the easiest. But the Pierce Brosnan era of the franchise remains my favorite even so. ****.

ThunderCats Ultimates! Wish List: Safari Joe, Turmagar, Tuska Warrior, Topspinner, Ram-Bam, Cruncher, Red-Eye, Tug-Mug, Driller, Ro-Bear Belle, Ro-Bear Bert, Nayda, Mumm-Rana, Dr. Dometone, Stinger, Captain Bragg & Crowman, Astral Moat Monster, Spidera, Snowmeow, Wolfrat.
Check out Gilda And Meek & The Un-Iverse! Blog with every online issue in one place!