Clear all

Once Upon a Studio (2023) (ABC)

2 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Jim_Abell
(@jim_abell)
Topic starter  

Once Upon a Studio - Official Trailer (2023) Disney 100th Anniversary Short Film

Check out the trailer for Once Upon a Studio, an upcoming new original short film premiering on ABC during “The Wonderful World of Disney: Disney’s 100th Anniversary Celebration!” on October 15 at 8 removed link

An all-star ensemble of beloved characters from Walt Disney Animation Studios come together in Once Upon a Studio for a joyful, entertaining and emotional reunion as they assemble for a spectacular group photo to mark Disney's 100th anniversary. Featuring 543 Disney characters from more than 85 feature-length and short films, Once Upon a Studio welcomes heroes and villains, princes and princesses, sidekicks and sorcerers—in all-new hand-drawn and CG animation—to celebrate 10 decades of storytelling, artistry and technological achievements. Directed by Dan Abraham and Trent Correy and produced by Yvett Merino and Bradford Simonsen, Once Upon a Studio makes it broadcast debut on ABC on Oct. 15, 2023.

ht tps://w ww.you tube.c om/watch?v=73H_pC9lPm0

Doesn't say it but I'm sure that this will be on Disney+ almost immediately after the ABC showing...

My friend told me to stop quoting the Monkees. I thought she was joking. But then I saw her face.

Matt Zimmer reacted
Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)
Prominent Member Registered

Disney's Once Upon A Studio

Spoiler

I'm wondering if this is the largest voice cast Disney has ever used. Certainly it was for a short.

Beast being back in Beast form feels right and wrong at the same time.

Scott Weinger still sounds completely whitewashed as Aladdin. I understand why they used him, but I would have recast if it were up to me.

Robin Williams archival performance though? Neat! Wish they had been able to do the same for Gilbert Gottfried as Iago.

Alan Tudyk as the Mad Hatter is a no-brainer.

For some reason the shared Universe of House of Mouse always bothered me a little, and I guess it does for this short too. It kind of lowers the stakes to consider the idea that the heroes and villains are all Immortal and hang out together after the movies are over. I didn't see Frollo, but the idea that he could still be out there in the studio scares me. Doesn't that flip you out even a little? Maybe I take my cartoons too literally and seriously. But that's always been my entire deal, you know? That can't REALLY shock you after all this time.

I don't know how many times I will rewatch this, or even if I will at all. I will say this. I suspect the more I see it, the more I'll like it. Not just for seeing new things I missed each time. But each rewatch will seem easier because the idea and format will be less and less jarring each time. For now, it was kind of a jumbled mess. A sweet jumbled mess, perhaps involving a happy ending with characters who don't all DESERVE sweet happy endings. It was an interesting and relatively nice milestone. But I still felt a little overwhelmed by it and uncomfortable with the premise. 3 1/2 stars. (No doubt to be upped in later rereviews).

ThunderCats Wish List: Ram-Bam, Cruncher, Topspinner, Turmagar, Tuska Warrior, Safari Joe, Luna, Amok, Red-Eye, Tug-Mug, Nayda, Driller, Snarfer, Ro-Bear Bill, Ro-Bear Belle, Ro-Bear Bert, Mumm-Rana, Dr. Dometone, Quick Pick, Stinger, Captain Bragg & Crowman, Astral Moat Monster, Spidera, Snowmeow, Wolfrat.
Check out Gilda And Meek & The Un-Iverse! Blog with every online issue in one place!

ReplyQuote