0 Likes
Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter  

Poltergeist (1982)

Spoiler

I guess you had to be there.

This was sort of a mess. I liked the first climax, but the second tried my patience. First off all, they should NOT have stayed in the house after all that. And why hadn't they gotten rid of that clown doll to begin with? And the things happening in the second climax were less scary and more "Kitchen Sink" storytelling. It was a bit much.

I don't like that they apparently treated Zelda Rubenstein's voice to make her spookier. He real voice was quite normal (albeit high) on Picket Fences. I don't know why I don't like that. I just don't. Maybe it's because it's using the fact that she's a little person to creepy effect. That's probably it.

The movie takes about forever to get going, and there doesn't appear to be a real catalyst to the happenings. It's an unusual horror movie in that famously nobody actually dies. Not a single person. That's very weird especially since the movie doesn't skimp on the life-threatening danger.

I don't care about the guy peeling off his face in the mirror. The real reason this should not have had a PG rating is that the parents are smoking pot in their bedroom with the kids in the other room. I couldn't even believe that bit. If you told me about it beforehand I'd assume you were putting me on.

The film opening on The Star-Spangled Banner was the weirdest choice ever, until you realize that back in the 1980's it was the last thing before the Off The Air static, which makes it relevant to the story. Still I did not expect THAT to be the movie's opening theme.

The last scene was funny. Can't deny that.

I will say this: Seeing this is REALLY going to illuminate the various animated Poltergeist parodies I've seen over the years. I kind of want to rewatch Treehouse Of Horror I, Petergeist, and Poltergasm again now.

This didn't do much for me. **1/2.

ThunderCats Ultimates! Wish List: Safari Joe, Turmagar, Tuska Warrior, Topspinner, Ram-Bam, Cruncher, Red-Eye, Tug-Mug, Driller, Ro-Bear Belle, Ro-Bear Bert, Nayda, Mumm-Rana, Dr. Dometone, Stinger, Captain Bragg & Crowman, Astral Moat Monster, Spidera, Snowmeow, Wolfrat.
Check out Gilda And Meek & The Un-Iverse! Blog with every online issue in one place!