1 Users
0 Likes
Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter  

The Living Daylights

Spoiler

It was very action-packed but a little dryer than normal. As is there was much less humor.

How is Timothy Dalton? He's much more age-appropriate in the role (as is thankfully Caroline Bliss as Miss Moneypenny). I don't know if anyone has brought this up yet (it might have escaped a Bond fan's notice) but the biggest difference for me is that Dalton tends to touch and caress a woman's face when he kisses her. It makes the character feel more intimate, passionate, and sensitive by doing that. Again, I'm not sure that's really something a James Bond fan would notice or care about. But it struck me as different and better.

It's really kind of tough to look back and remember the point in time we considered the Afghanis our allies against the Russians. Nothing says neither Britain or the U.S. understood the reality there than when Kara orders and shames the Afghani soldiers into helping Bond and they follow her lead. In reality, they never would have because she's a woman. But nobody back then really understood that sort of stuff.

Another mistake that bugged me was minor in comparison, but I would think Kara would need a new cello at the end. With a bullet-hole in it I would think that would entirely change the instrument's acoustics. As far as I know, it's possible it wouldn't be able to play right at all.

It always weirds me out to see Virginia Hey with hair. Oh well. At least we got pleasurable (and frustrating) side-boob out of it.

At this point I think Q and Bond's relationship has stopped really being antagonistic. I'm glad. That was wearing a bit thin on me.

It was solid. Dalton is pretty good. ***1/2.

ThunderCats Ultimates! Wish List: Safari Joe, Turmagar, Tuska Warrior, Topspinner, Ram-Bam, Cruncher, Red-Eye, Tug-Mug, Driller, Ro-Bear Belle, Ro-Bear Bert, Nayda, Mumm-Rana, Dr. Dometone, Stinger, Captain Bragg & Crowman, Astral Moat Monster, Spidera, Snowmeow, Wolfrat.
Check out Gilda And Meek & The Un-Iverse! Blog with every online issue in one place!