The World Is Not En...

Notifications
Clear all

The World Is Not Enough (James Bond 007)

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter  

The World Is Not Enough

Spoiler

I pretty much loved it. I'm not sure why it got negative reviews, but I think it was super interesting.

Has anybody pointed out that Renard is literally the first Bond villain the audience could possibly extend a bit of sympathy towards? Because the movie needs major credit for that. That is no small thing.

Robert Carlyle makes him the tweakiest Bond villain, at least until Rami Malek in No Time To Die. Elektra being the actual mastermind is half-refreshing, half-exasperating. I found her motives all over the map, and it's not a great mystery in my mind if she could have turned out to be good and none of the clues would have had to change.

I was unhappy and unsurprised Valentin died. Really, everyone seemed to be gunning for him, from Bond to the villains. Even the help is against him. The amazing thing is him actually lasting as long as he did.

I like when in the jail cell, M accidentally knocks over the stool with the clock. Reminds us it's been awhile since she's actually done this sort of thing. But when Elektra foolishly gives her the clock, I love that she's clever enough to instantly make a homing beacon. She's still got it, even if the skills are a bit rusty.

I laughed at the idea of Denise Richards playing a scientist, but I also like the fact that she's the first Bond girl to acknowledge and hate the fact that she has a dumb name. That's great.

Q's last scene of lowering out of frame was perfect tribute to the time Desmond Llewlyn has served in the role. I knew John Cleese was coming, but the great thing is he's not listed in the main title credits, so the audience in the theater didn't see it coming. They must have busted a gut to see him.

I'm not sure why that was disliked, but I thought it was great. ****1/2.

ThunderCats Ultimates! Wish List: Safari Joe, Turmagar, Tuska Warrior, Topspinner, Ram-Bam, Cruncher, Red-Eye, Tug-Mug, Driller, Ro-Bear Belle, Ro-Bear Bert, Nayda, Mumm-Rana, Dr. Dometone, Stinger, Captain Bragg & Crowman, Astral Moat Monster, Spidera, Snowmeow, Wolfrat.
Check out Gilda And Meek & The Un-Iverse! Blog with every online issue in one place!