Notifications
Clear all

The Mandalorian (Season 2) (Disney+) (2020)

6 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Jim_Abell
(@jim_abell)
Topic starter  

As reported by Variety, Star Wars The Mandalorian: The Complete First Season and The Mandalorian: The Complete Second Season will be available Tuesday, Dec. 12 on Blu-ray and 4K UHD. Preorders will go up August 28th.

My friend told me to stop quoting the Monkees. I thought she was joking. But then I saw her face.

Matt Zimmer reacted
Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)
Prominent Member Registered

These Blu-Ray releases strike me as financially necessary and something Disney should have been doing all along. If they release Hamilton or the Chip 'N' Dale: Rescue Rangers movie in disc they'll sell a jillion copies of each. Making expensive programming and just letting it sit on the service doesn't make them money. They need to sell and monetize it too. 

Ironically I would buy a Blu-Ray for some of the stuff they've taken off the service. I would order Willow: The Complete Series the day it was released. Disney needs to think about its library not currently on the service too. A complete DVD release for House Of Mouse, Muppet Babies, and Aladdin would make them a lot of money too. They also would make a lot of money by DVD releases of Spider-Man: The Animated Series, The Incredible Hulk TAS, X-Men: Evolution, Gummi Bears, The Little Mermaid TAS, The New Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh, Gargoyles: The Goliath Chronicles, more Darkwing Duck, The Muppet Show, more seasons of The Simpsons, Family Guy, and American Dad, The Orville: New Horizons, and the Marvel Television cartoons and TV shows. Besides the other recent Marvel Studios and live-action Star Wars shows, I also want Once Upon A Time In Wonderland, The Muppets, The Muppets Mayhem, Muppets Tonight, Disenchanted, and more Star Wars cartoons. We need to finish Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Resistance as as well as releases for The Bad Batch and Visions. Ewoks and Droids, as well as a rerelease of the Ewoks TV movies and the CN Clone Wars microseries would be great too. 

People still like and buy Blu-Rays. Streaming is not the entire future of entertainment. Companies have been confused by that. It's simply another option. People will still go to the theater or buy movies on disc. 

ThunderCats Wish List: Ram-Bam, Cruncher, Topspinner, Turmagar, Tuska Warrior, Safari Joe, Luna, Amok, Red-Eye, Tug-Mug, Nayda, Driller, Snarfer, Ro-Bear Bill, Ro-Bear Belle, Ro-Bear Bert, Mumm-Rana, Dr. Dometone, Quick Pick, Stinger, Captain Bragg & Crowman, Astral Moat Monster, Spidera, Snowmeow, Wolfrat.
Check out Gilda And Meek & The Un-Iverse! Blog with every online issue in one place!

ReplyQuote
bnjmnrlyr
(@bnjmnrlyr)
Reputable Member Registered

The reduction of shelf space in all big box retailers would say otherwise.  If those stores aren't giving up shelf space for the product the companies won't make or put out the product (since the stores are technically the ones buying from them).  Print on demand didn't take on as much impact as it maybe should have in order for customers that want physical copies of  what ever media they fancy to have access.

ReplyQuote
Jim_Abell
(@jim_abell)
Topic starter  

Actually, physical is making a comeback.  I pick for a movie/music distributor and things have been a rollercoaster over the last eight years.  DVDs and CDs were the main business when I started then it shifted to POP!s, vinyl and pretty much season sets only for DVD/Blu-Ray but it's starting to shift back for movies and CDs seem to be creeping their way back in, too.  There is still a ton of product that you can't get physically but the reverse is also true, plus if you just want one movie to watch again and again you're not going to pay monthly for a streaming service.  I really can't believe that Disney didn't start the Simpsons releases over as they were solid sellers but we've seemingly through our supply at work, I can't remember the last time I picked anything Simpsons outside of the movie.  South Park and Family Guy are a good portion of my daily picks, I know Simpsons would be right back up there with them if it returned.

To Fone's point, long time Star Wars fans like to hold stuff in their hands and display it on their shelves, it's crazy that the films have been the only things getting physical releases.  I'm the same way about my superhero movies and it kind of bugs me that they're getting released as dual format sets in steel books, would've much preferred them to have been in standard Blu-Ray boxes to match everything else I have...   One thing I did notice at work was that we had import sets of the Netflix shows for a while (at least the first season of everything) and those were selling well but those seem to have dried up...

My friend told me to stop quoting the Monkees. I thought she was joking. But then I saw her face.

ReplyQuote
Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)

Posted by: @bnjmnrlyr

The reduction of shelf space in all big box retailers would say otherwise.  If those stores aren't giving up shelf space for the product the companies won't make or put out the product (since the stores are technically the ones buying from them).  Print on demand didn't take on as much impact as it maybe should have in order for customers that want physical copies of  what ever media they fancy to have access.

Best Buy is a dead end for physical media. I get my movies from Amazon and Disney Movie Club. Jim is right that physical media is making a comeback, especially with services writing stuff off for taxes. 

ThunderCats Wish List: Ram-Bam, Cruncher, Topspinner, Turmagar, Tuska Warrior, Safari Joe, Luna, Amok, Red-Eye, Tug-Mug, Nayda, Driller, Snarfer, Ro-Bear Bill, Ro-Bear Belle, Ro-Bear Bert, Mumm-Rana, Dr. Dometone, Quick Pick, Stinger, Captain Bragg & Crowman, Astral Moat Monster, Spidera, Snowmeow, Wolfrat.
Check out Gilda And Meek & The Un-Iverse! Blog with every online issue in one place!

ReplyQuote
Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)

Posted by: @jim_abell

Actually, physical is making a comeback.  I pick for a movie/music distributor and things have been a rollercoaster over the last eight years.  DVDs and CDs were the main business when I started then it shifted to POP!s, vinyl and pretty much season sets only for DVD/Blu-Ray but it's starting to shift back for movies and CDs seem to be creeping their way back in, too.  There is still a ton of product that you can't get physically but the reverse is also true, plus if you just want one movie to watch again and again you're not going to pay monthly for a streaming service.  I really can't believe that Disney didn't start the Simpsons releases over as they were solid sellers but we've seemingly through our supply at work, I can't remember the last time I picked anything Simpsons outside of the movie.  South Park and Family Guy are a good portion of my daily picks, I know Simpsons would be right back up there with them if it returned.

To Fone's point, long time Star Wars fans like to hold stuff in their hands and display it on their shelves, it's crazy that the films have been the only things getting physical releases.  I'm the same way about my superhero movies and it kind of bugs me that they're getting released as dual format sets in steel books, would've much preferred them to have been in standard Blu-Ray boxes to match everything else I have...   One thing I did notice at work was that we had import sets of the Netflix shows for a while (at least the first season of everything) and those were selling well but those seem to have dried up...

Collectors would spend a LOT of money for all of the titles I listed. Disney is sitting on a mint while bemoaning how much money their streaming services are losing them. It's because they aren't maximizing their profits. It makes no sense to create a hugely expensive movie or TV show just to sit on it. They are losing money because they aren't selling them. 

ReplyQuote