Clear all

Shazam!: Fury of the Gods (2023)

7 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Jim_Abell
(@jim_abell)
Topic starter  

From New Line Cinema comes “Shazam! Fury of the Gods,” which continues the story of teenage Billy Batson who, upon reciting the magic word “SHAZAM!,” is transformed into his adult Super Hero alter ego, Shazam. “Shazam! Fury of the Gods” stars returning cast members Zachary Levi (“Thor: Ragnarok”) as Shazam; Asher Angel (“Andi Mack”) as Billy Batson; Jack Dylan Grazer (“It Chapter Two”) as Freddy Freeman; Adam Brody (“Promising Young Woman”) as Super Hero Freddy; Ross Butler (“Raya and the Last Dragon”) as Super Hero Eugene; Meagan Good (“Day Shift”) as Super Hero Darla; D.J. Cotrona (“G.I. Joe: Retaliation”) as Super Hero Pedro; Grace Caroline Currey (“Annabelle: Creation”) as Mary Bromfield / Super Hero Mary; Faithe Herman (“This Is Us”) as Darla Dudley; Ian Chen (“A Dog’s Journey”) as Eugene Choi; Jovan Armand (“Second Chances”) as Pedro Pena; Marta Milans (“White Lines”) as Rosa Vasquez; Cooper Andrews (“The Walking Dead”) as Victor Vasquez; with Djimon Hounsou(“A Quiet Place Part II”) as Wizard. Joining the cast are Rachel Zegler (“West Side Story”), with Lucy Liu (“Kung Fu Panda” franchise) and Helen Mirren (“F9: The Fast Saga”). The film is directed by David F. Sandberg (“Shazam!,” “Annabelle: Creation”) and produced by Peter Safran (“Aquaman,” “The Suicide Squad”). It is written by Henry Gayden (“Shazam!,” “There’s Someone Inside Your House”) and Chris Morgan (“Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw,” “The Fate of the Furious”), based on characters from DC;Shazam! was created by Bill Parker and C.C. Beck. Executive producers are Walter Hamada, Adam Schlagman, Richard Brener, Dave Neustadter, Victoria Palmeri, Marcus Viscidi and Geoff Johns. Joining director Sandberg behind-the-camera are director of photography Gyula Pados (the “Jumanji” franchise), production designer Paul Kirby (“The Old Guard,” “Jason Bourne”) and editor Michel Aller (“Shazam!,” “The Nun”). The music supervisor is Season Kent (“DC League of Super-Pets,” “The Addams Family 2”) and the music is by Christophe Beck (“Free Guy,” “Frozen II”). Visual effects supervisors are Bruce Jones (“Aquaman,” “It”) and Raymond Chen (“Alita: Battle Angel,” “The Meg”). The costume designer is Louise Mingenbach (“Jumanji: The Next Level,” “Godzilla: King of the Monsters”). New Line Cinema presents A Peter Safran Production of A David F. Sandberg Film, “Shazam! Fury of the Gods,” which is set to open in theaters internationally beginning 15 December 2022 and in North America on December 21, 2022.

My friend told me to stop quoting the Monkees. I thought she was joking. But then I saw her face.

Jim_Abell
(@jim_abell)
Topic starter  

December 21, 2022

My friend told me to stop quoting the Monkees. I thought she was joking. But then I saw her face.

ReplyQuote
Jim_Abell
(@jim_abell)
Topic starter  

Moved again.

March 17, 2023

Matt Zimmer reacted
ReplyQuote
Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)
Prominent Member Registered

Gunn and Safran left the door open for Zachary Levi to continue playing Shazam!. 

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/dc-universe-superman-legacy-batman-green-lantern-supergirl-booster-gold-1235507426/

ThunderCats Wish List: Ram-Bam, Cruncher, Topspinner, Turmagar, Tuska Warrior, Safari Joe, Luna, Amok, Red-Eye, Tug-Mug, Nayda, Driller, Snarfer, Ro-Bear Bill, Ro-Bear Belle, Ro-Bear Bert, Mumm-Rana, Dr. Dometone, Quick Pick, Stinger, Captain Bragg & Crowman, Astral Moat Monster, Spidera, Snowmeow, Wolfrat.
Check out Gilda And Meek & The Un-Iverse! Blog with every online issue in one place!

ReplyQuote
bnjmnrlyr
(@bnjmnrlyr)
Reputable Member Registered

James has uploaded a video to all of his socials about the launch of the DCU.  I suggest you check it out to hear it directly from the source as that article doesn't completely lineup with what he himself presents.

But, that being said, it all sounds very promising and I'm looking forward to it.

ReplyQuote
Jim_Abell
(@jim_abell)
Topic starter  

Spoiler
How is it that Michael Gray looks older than Burt Ward?...

ReplyQuote
Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)
Prominent Member Registered

Shazam!: Fury Of The Gods

Spoiler

I liked the first Shazam movie, but honestly I felt like it tried to do too much for the first outing. I felt the same way about Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice, but at least the first Shazam film was fun. This film's tone however feels much more solid and comfortable with itself. People will complain that the Sivana and Mr. Mind stuff has been put off for a third movie that will probably never happen, but the second tag was actually my least favorite thing about the movie.

I resented the hell out of Billy's fake-out death at the end, but I'll give the filmmaker's this: Bringing in Gal Gadot to cheaply retcon it makes me forgive it entirely. Funny how that works. Gal Gadot simply makes everything better. People wonder why I actually loved the critically reviled Wonder Woman 1984. That! That!

"Hi, Kaleesi!" You know what? Billy really shouldn't be watching Game Of Thrones. Am I crazy for thinking that?

Also how can Billy claim to have seen every Fast & Furious movie yet cannot recognize Queenie is standing right in front of him?

Captain Marvel was mentioned as a goof. But I did notice it.

Loved Billy's therapy session with the pediatrician at the beginning.

Captain Marvel purists will definitely object to the moral that anyone can be deserving of the power, but whether that flies against the comic's canon or not, it's the correct empowering moral. I would argue the comic suggesting only Billy's singular virtue and morality being worthy of that power was actually telling the story wrong for decades.

I yawned at the second tag but I laughed at the first tag with Billy being recruited for the Justice Society and him poking holes at how dumb it is that two organizations designed for the same purpose have the words "Justice" in the title. Billy's suggestion of "Avengers Society" is so good it's the comic book I want to see that can never exist for legal reasons. Darn.

The Skittles product placement was annoyingly blatant, but the thing I liked about that plotline is that Darla isn't afraid of the unicorn even for a second (even though she probably should be). I like that about Darla and it shows the selling point of doing the premise of kids as superheroes.

"Who wants their superpowers back?" Love the implications at the end that Billy shared the Shazam powers with the foster parents and Ann. Kind of would have wanted to see their superpowered forms, but in the unlikely event of a sequel I guess that's what that's for.

I had totally forgotten how great an actor the kid who plays Freddie is. I disapprove of child acting on general principle, but there is no question this specific kid has major talent.

The Wizard was a great deal of fun and Djimon Hounsou clearly had a blast playing him this time out.

Helen Mirren reading Steve's goofy letter was probably the funniest thing in the movie. I'm glad I didn't see this in the theater. I never would have heard the second half of it. The audience would be laughing too hard over it. It IS hilarious.

As a rule I don't like the Extended Universe. But this movie is a rare bright spot in the continuity. ****1 removed link

ThunderCats Wish List: Ram-Bam, Cruncher, Topspinner, Turmagar, Tuska Warrior, Safari Joe, Luna, Amok, Red-Eye, Tug-Mug, Nayda, Driller, Snarfer, Ro-Bear Bill, Ro-Bear Belle, Ro-Bear Bert, Mumm-Rana, Dr. Dometone, Quick Pick, Stinger, Captain Bragg & Crowman, Astral Moat Monster, Spidera, Snowmeow, Wolfrat.
Check out Gilda And Meek & The Un-Iverse! Blog with every online issue in one place!

ReplyQuote