The Batman (2022)

8 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)
Prominent Member Registered
Topic starter  

Apparently this is going to be 2 hours and 55 minutes long. I'm never going back to the theater ever again, but if I were, you could still never expect me to sit still in one for three hours in the middle of a pandemic. DC is crazy. 

ThunderCats Wish List: Ram-Bam, Cruncher, Topspinner, Turmagar, Tuska Warrior, Safari Joe, Luna, Amok, Red-Eye, Tug-Mug, Nayda, Driller, Snarfer, Ro-Bear Bill, Ro-Bear Belle, Ro-Bear Bert, Mumm-Rana, Dr. Dometone, Quick Pick, Stinger, Captain Bragg & Crowman, Astral Moat Monster, Spidera, Snowmeow, Wolfrat.
Check out Gilda And Meek & The Un-Iverse! Blog with every online issue in one place!

Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)
Topic starter  

AMC to charge more to see this movie. Another reason I will never go to the theater again.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/2/22957881/batman-tickets-amc-pricing-premium

ThunderCats Wish List: Ram-Bam, Cruncher, Topspinner, Turmagar, Tuska Warrior, Safari Joe, Luna, Amok, Red-Eye, Tug-Mug, Nayda, Driller, Snarfer, Ro-Bear Bill, Ro-Bear Belle, Ro-Bear Bert, Mumm-Rana, Dr. Dometone, Quick Pick, Stinger, Captain Bragg & Crowman, Astral Moat Monster, Spidera, Snowmeow, Wolfrat.
Check out Gilda And Meek & The Un-Iverse! Blog with every online issue in one place!

ReplyQuote
bnjmnrlyr
(@bnjmnrlyr)
Reputable Member Registered

I get the logic in the argument, and I'm having a hard time finding fault with their reasoning, but I don't like it.

ReplyQuote
Jim_Abell
(@jim_abell)

Didn't read that story about AMC until just now.  I think a better argument for them would be that the longer run time cuts down on the number of showings possible per day of course that won't work for other films of a normal run-time.  I was actually expecting the increase to be more than a dollar when I started reading and I have far less of a problem with that dollar than I do over the two or three that get charged for the plush recliners that I don't need to watch a movie (not to mention the additional possibility of napping the film away in one of those things -- not to say that I want an uncomfortable seat but a regular theater seat with a fold-up armrest is plenty good-enough for me).  Here's an idea for theater innovation: put restrooms in the back of each theater with screens running the film so if you gotta take a pee-break you don't miss anything. Wouldn't mind paying the extra for that option.

Posting in the Morbius thread made me realize that I'd never posted about The Batman.  Saw it opening weekend but didn't have time post that night because I was out too late on a work night.  The movie is long but it doesn't drag very often.  Pattenson is excellent as a fairly new Batman though his Bruce Wayne doesn't really exist, he's just starting to realize that he needs that cover.  Serkis is wonderful as Alfred but I'd be had pressed to complain about any live-action version of Alfred.  I still haven't watched Pennyworth but all of the others are great in their own way, Serkis adds a new take to the batch.  Wasn't crazy about Kravitz's Catwoman but this seems to be a recent take from the comics.  The Riddler was well done even though I don't like the modern idea of him being a serial killer like in Gotham or here.  Wright's Gordon was just as good as you'd expect from him but the real winner here is the Penguin.  The eyes give him away if you know them but otherwise Ferrill disappears in the make-up and performance, I really look forward to his HBOmax show now.  And I know it's not a popular opinion but I love this Batmobile.  The Nolan and Snyder cars both made good on stunt ability but both were too large and heavy to be practical (plus they stand out like crazy). This car is much more believable for maneuvering in a city-scape (even though it still has some blatantly fantasy elements to it) than the overly long Burton/Schumacher cars or the impractically stylish Barris creation (which I've learned is actually more Lincoln than Barris).  Each one is a cool car in it's own way but this is one that I can believe as a functioning Batmobile.  It also looks just normal enough to pass for a regular car sitting on the street unlike the others that announce Batman is in the neighborhood.

Then there is the deleted scene that was released with the Joker giving us the creepiest Joker, yet (well, maybe not creepier than Gotham's...).  I'm a bit worried that a Joker centered movie in this universe may end up being an out-and-out horror movie.  Some seriously unsettling make-up even without a clear look at him.

My friend told me to stop quoting the Monkees. I thought she was joking. But then I saw her face.

ReplyQuote
Jim_Abell
(@jim_abell)

Just realized that the guy who played the Joker was the guy who played Durig in Eternals!

My friend told me to stop quoting the Monkees. I thought she was joking. But then I saw her face.

ReplyQuote
Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)
Topic starter  

The Batman (2022)

Spoiler

Wow. Where to begin?

I liked, bordering on loved, that movie. But I have to be honest, I LOVED the first half, and only liked the second. As I was watching the first hour and a half, I believed the film had the potential to be both the best Batman film ever, and the best DC live-action project of all time. It didn't turn out that way (sadly) but it had a strong opening.

I think the thing I responded so well to is that all of the bizarre things happening at the beginning of the film are allowed to just happen without explanation, and the viewer has to come to the context of them on their own. And that made it like David Lynch and an art film, and I dug it. But the movie is too damn long. They could have deleted an hour of it and gotten to its essentials. I could never have sat in a theater through this. It would have been torture, even before Covid.

The second thing I didn't like is the same reason I hate The Dark Knight Rises: The domestic terrorist themes and online conspiracy sites hit too close to reality to enjoy in fiction. In fairness to this film, unlike the last Nolan film, the mass shooting wasn't simply nihilism for the sake of it. People in the city rose to the occasion, which was nice. But the whole thing gave me the willies anyways.

How is Robert Pattinson? I'm looking through the cast list of the live-action Batmans, and it's probable he's the best one. Not because his performance was exactly great. It's just that I tended to have bones to pick with almost all the previous ones (beside Adam West) and I didn't with Pattinson. Both his Batman and Bruce are equally laconic. He doesn't say much when he enters a room. He just takes it all in. But the thing that gets my big stamp of approval is getting rid of the damn Batgrowl. People have raved about The Dark Knight. But the fact that Nolan and Christian Bale invented the Batgrowl means that iteration of the franchise makes Batman worse, because other movies (and even cartoons) started taking the lead from that there. Pattinson's Batman voice is a little deeper than his Bruce. But he's not putting on a cartoon voice like Bale (and then Affleck) did. I cannot tell you how much I missed a realistic-speaking Batman. If you want to be real, that means that both Val Kilmer and George Clooney are better Batmen than either Bale or Affleck. I'm not saying their movies were better. But their time in the suit definitely was.

Pattinson is also lean and gaunt, which (don't laugh) brings to mind a vampire, which is something I think more Batman interpretations would do well-off leaning into. I don't think Batman needs to be the hardbody so many portrayals have turned him into. If you ask me the homoerotic muscles layered on muscles, actually kind of work against the mystique of the character. That's where I stand on Batman's bulging pecs and abs.

And it's good there is no Batgrowl here because Pattison spends more time in the Batman suit than any previous actor from any previous movie. So that specific choice was appreciated.

I'll tell you what I liked about Riddler. When they did the big reveal I didn't recognize the actor. As far as I know, they cast an unknown. And now when I rewatch the movie I won't be saying "Hey! There's Jim Carrey!" This guy HIMSELF is actually the Riddler! Neat trick, right? I believe Hollywood should be a casting a LOT more lesser known actors in major roles than they are. This guy's a find too. His Ava Maria stuff was nuts. And his singsong "Bruuuce Waaaayne" was suitably creepy.

Gotham was interesting because until the end it was portrayed as a Bright Lights, Big City sort of place. There's an actual stand-in for Time Square in it. It is not the broken down pit the rest of live-action portrays it as, at least not until the end.

Best performance in the movie is John Turturro as Carmine Falcone. I'm not saying the guy deserves a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for it. But if I were in the Academy, I'd nominate him for it at least.

Joker at the ends sounds a bit young to me, but so was Cameron Monaghan, and even if Jerome on Gotham didn't turn out to be the actual Joker, I think he was probably second best in the role after Mark Hamill. I always struggle to say nice things about the dumpster fire that was Gotham, but Jerome Valeska was one of them. So a young take doesn't bother me too much.

Jeffrey Wright was a great live-action Gordon, but he's a better Batman voice on Batman: The Audio Adventures.

I was hoping I'd be able to declare this my favorite live-action DC movie ever, but it didn't quite get there by the end. But it's still a pretty impressive achievement. Even if it's too damn long. ****.

ReplyQuote
bnjmnrlyr
(@bnjmnrlyr)
Reputable Member Registered

After three attempts to watch it at home, I realized this isn't my Batman.

It was well made, but the characters, both in design and portrayal, just weren't to my liking and kept pushing me out of any immersion I was able to get.

I'm glad it is hitting so well for so many, but this isn't the way I want my superheroes portrayed.

Oh well, wait a few years and there will be another "all new all different" take

Matt Zimmer reacted
ReplyQuote
Jim_Abell
(@jim_abell)

This is impressive for a bunch of guys working on their own for a week (if you just want to see the finished product, skip to about 18:00)

ReplyQuote