1 Users
0 Likes
Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)
Prominent Member Registered
Topic starter  

Night Court "A Night Court Before Christmas"

Spoiler

This was probably aired out of order. There's a new guy in Neil's place. I guess he left the show. Good. His crush on Abby wasn't working. But I guess we'll have to wait for the cliffhanger resolution.

I get comedy is lazy. And I am not sports fan or nerd. But I'm pretty Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's and Magic Johnson's basketball careers didn't actually overlap. Not a hundred percent, but I'm pretty sure they were balling in two different decades.

It was dumb (which is this show). It was nice (which I wish this show was more successful at). I enjoyed the dumb, nice thing. 3 1/2 stars.

ThunderCats Wish List: Ram-Bam, Cruncher, Topspinner, Turmagar, Tuska Warrior, Safari Joe, Luna, Amok, Red-Eye, Tug-Mug, Nayda, Driller, Snarfer, Ro-Bear Bill, Ro-Bear Belle, Ro-Bear Bert, Mumm-Rana, Dr. Dometone, Quick Pick, Stinger, Captain Bragg & Crowman, Astral Moat Monster, Spidera, Snowmeow, Wolfrat.
Check out Gilda And Meek & The Un-Iverse! Blog with every online issue in one place!

ReplyQuote
Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)
Topic starter  

Night Court "The Roz Affair"

Spoiler

So Neil is gone for good, which is good. He sucked.

I like that Roz is a lesbian. I believe it fits. I don't think we saw the character in a romance on the old show.

Melissa Rauch made me mega-cringe during her "flirting" scene. How does a person this unfunny have a career in comedy? It boggles the mind.

The show is just not good. But it's Roz, you know? And she's getting married. I'll live with it. 3 stars.

ThunderCats Wish List: Ram-Bam, Cruncher, Topspinner, Turmagar, Tuska Warrior, Safari Joe, Luna, Amok, Red-Eye, Tug-Mug, Nayda, Driller, Snarfer, Ro-Bear Bill, Ro-Bear Belle, Ro-Bear Bert, Mumm-Rana, Dr. Dometone, Quick Pick, Stinger, Captain Bragg & Crowman, Astral Moat Monster, Spidera, Snowmeow, Wolfrat.
Check out Gilda And Meek & The Un-Iverse! Blog with every online issue in one place!

ReplyQuote
Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)
Topic starter  

Night Court "Form Fetish"

Spoiler

Some nice silliness cannot hide that the show is super dumb. I mean the old show was too but it was made in the 1980's. You'd think the writers would have higher standards these days.

If you want to point out to me that audiences probably don't either, then you've got me there. 3 1/2 stars.

ReplyQuote
Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)
Topic starter  

Night Court "Just The Fax, Dan"

Spoiler

It's dumb but what really bothers me is they aren't doing the theme song anymore. Really, that was the only thing last year I really liked. 2 1/2 stars.

ReplyQuote
Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)
Topic starter  

Night Court "Hold The Pickles, Keep The Change"

Spoiler

I am sad. Reading the episode synopsis had me thinking "I wish this were a better show." If it WAS a good show, they could have made that cute idea work. But it's not. So it's stupid nonsense instead. I am sad that even when the show comes up with a good premise it will never be good enough to overcome its failings.

Society should burn alert: Abby describing one of her "sexy" faces as "Cousin, but worth it," made me gag. Not just for the idea. But it's clearly an actual saying I had never heard of before, and climate change cannot kill off the human race fast enough. People suck.

I really wish this show didn't. 2 1/2 stars.

ReplyQuote
Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)
Topic starter  

Night Court "Wrath Of Comic-Con"

Spoiler

When I saw John Larroquette dressed up as a Klingon, I knew I'd give the episode a positive grade. A lot of people believe the old show is superior to this. But they would never think to do that. He even calls himself Maltz. For God's sake's Brent Spiner was a recurring actor back then and Data wasn't brought up once. So respect.

I love that Wyatt's beef with his Paw Patrol costume is that the garbage superpower makes no sense. Interesting note. I'll file that away for later consideration.

Abby's plot with the friend she hates was surprisingly decent too. What I love is that Heather is in no way hurt or mad at the end, which is both not remotely believable and utterly refreshing at the exact same time.

I loved the episode. I wish more of them were like this. 4 1/2 stars.

ReplyQuote
Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)
Topic starter  

Night Court "A Crime Of Fashion"

Spoiler

I could tell by the studio audience applause the guy was from The Big Bang Theory.

I don't have much commentary this week, but it was not terrible. 3 1/2 stars.

ReplyQuote
Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)
Topic starter  

Night Court "Broadway Danny Gurgs"

Spoiler

Interesting. Murder trials get held over for juries on this show. Answers a question about this franchise I've always had (going back to the 1980's).

I love that Dan asks the court reporter "dictating" the mime: "What could you possibly be typing?"

Lacretta is a good singer.

You can't go wrong casting Richard Kind in anything.

That camouflage costume WAS pretty good.

I'm not going to say the show is finding its groove. But the past few weeks have not been terrible. Stupid, yes. But not terrible. 3 1/2 stars.

ReplyQuote
Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)
Topic starter  

Night Court "Taught And Bothered"

Spoiler

Ryan Hansen has NOT had a major career since Veronica Mars so it's nice to see him in anything. He seems to have a sense of humor about what a D-lister he is in real life and that sort of went into Dick's character on the 2019 season of Veronica Mars.

As an middle-aged adult, dude cleans up nice.

Dan's sarcasm regarding the Thank Yous was pretty great. Loved the Barbershop bit.

That being said, the episode is sadly lame. Because the show usually is. Bummer. 2 1/2 stars.

ReplyQuote
Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)
Topic starter  

Night Court "Chips Ahoy"

Spoiler

That was not just bad. That was not just awful. It was so embarrassing I was ashamed of myself that I sat through it. I watch a LOT of crap. That doesn't happen with most other shows I watch. When it does (like Riverdale) is when I start considering dropping out of it.

That was terrible enough to put this show on thin ice with me. I am seriously considering dropping it. My taste is simply not this terrible, and I shouldn't act like it is. 0.

ReplyQuote
Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)
Topic starter  

Night Court "Wheelers Of Fortune"

Spoiler

Most people don't remember this but Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation was NOT Brent Spiner's break-out role. It was Bob Wheeler on Night Court. He probably never would have been cast as Data if he hadn't shown his versatility with this character who is simultaneously stupid, weird, and just plain sad. He's funnier than he should be, even though the relaunch decidedly is not. They ought to bring in more legacy characters.

I thought Dan and Abby's moment at the end was nice which is good because little on this show is. I like that Dan said the phrase, and they both decided that meant he was channeling Harry. Not sure that tracks, but the lightning agrees.

Seriously though, this Gurgs chick is working my last nerve. I'd even let her obnoxiousness slide if Lacretta were actually funny. No exaggeration, in two seasons, the character hasn't made me laugh once. Not once. On a comedy, that's damning. If Marsha Warfield were dead, she'd be spinning in her comedy grave. Also, bring back Roz again.

I have synesthesia but I see letters and numbers as color, not people. Although I've noticed people often take on a similar aura to their names and the random colors I see. That may be a coincidence but it may not be. I learned about it only a few years ago. I had assumed before learning it was a thing that EVERYONE saw letters and numbers in color. I was shocked to realize it's a neurological condition. If you ask me, it's a neat one.

For the record the colors in the names don't tell you anything about the person. For example for me while Donald Trump's name DOES have a large aspect of orange to it, there is a lot more green surrounding it. Which proves the letter colors mean nothing. Wyatt being personally offended is wrongheaded.

Never thought this specific thing would ever come up on NIGHT COURT of all places, so kudos.

Kate Micucci is a cute voice-over artist, but I've yet to see her in a live-action role that isn't totally annoying. Ugh. That voice should be coming out of cartoon ducks and mystery solving teens. Not this trailer park person. I never exactly felt the Wheelers were ENTIRELY punching down, just because there's something funny and endearing about them. But I'm really struggling to find any part of Miccuci's character that ISN'T punching down HARD against the rural poor. It doesn't feel as lighthearted as the other Wheelers. There is a mean undertone to it I don't like.

An episode with a couple of nice scenes and Brent Spiner chewing scenery. This is what Night Court SHOULD be, but the relaunch rarely is. 4 stars.

ReplyQuote
Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)
Topic starter  

Night Court "The Duke's A Hazard"

Spoiler

Saw Quiet On Set this week. And I knew watching this week's Night Court would suck. The broad unfunny humor, painful dialogue, and gross innuendo is the exact same humor as the trashy Nickelodeon kidcoms. While we as a society are taking the week to look down at that genre in disgust, I can hardly give a free pass for modern shows designed for "adults" engaging in those exact same embarrassing tropes.

THIS close to dropping the show. It might be my last season. 1 star.

ReplyQuote
Matt Zimmer
(@matt-zimmer)
Topic starter  

Night Court "The Best Dan"

Spoiler

I am dismayed, believe it or not. I strongly dislike this show. And I was hoping beyond hope the season finale would be underwhelming so I could wash my hands of it, and not come back next year.

That episode was a gem instead. If I DO decide to drop the show, it will no longer be an easy decision. And chances are I won't. At least not next year (if it's renewed).

Great twist at the end, but the 1980's TV addict in me was actually hoping for a Newhart crossover with Julia Duffy showing up. I could have sworn I read awhile ago Duffy had died. It is SO hard keeping track of the livings and dyings of sitcom actors from when I was a kid.

It's nice the episode was so kind to Dan and Christine's sister. I do have to say I AM disappointed about something: They let the horrible series finale of Night Court stand. If I wrote the show I'd ignore it, and suggest the final season happened after all, and that crap was all resolved. Now Bull is still in outer space, and always will be. I don't dig that.

I was really hoping for a terrible episode to make it easier to drop a show I usually dislike. This is not going to be an easy decision after all. 5 stars.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2